Sunday, August 31, 2008

Wine and cemeteries


Me, Chris and Brookie went on a girl's day out recently and had a grand ole time. First we visited Highland Manor Winery in Jamestown, Tennessee. It's the oldest winery in Tennessee. Check out their website at http://www.highlandmanorwinery.net/ They have a really nice gift shop. But their best asset is their employee, Mara. She's from Italy and I could have listened to her talk all day. She was so interesting. We did some wine tasting. I didn't think I liked wine, but I hadn't tried the sweet wine. Yum. Brookie and I liked their Southern Blush, and Chris liked the Reserve Chardonnay. We took a tour of the place which was very interesting. Then headed to Byrdstown for lunch at the Bobcat. Time to go the cemeteries! A little history first. Brookie was working at the newspaper when I got hired. Then left a few months later. (We remained friends for the past 18 years!) Her mother's maiden name was Flowers, my maiden name is Flowers. So we always teased each other about being related. Brookie is into genealogy and I love researching too. She uncovered that we really are related! Her 3rd great grandfather and my 4th great grandfather were brothers. So we are some kind of cousins. Cool, huh? Anyways, I took them to the cemeteries where my grandparents and other relatives are buried. Then to a "swept cemetery" (Winningham Cemetery) where Jack's grandparents are buried. A swept cemetery is exactly what it is...swept...no grass...they take brooms before a burial or before Decoration Day and sweep the cemetery. Brookie was really excited to see one because she had heard her mother talk about how cemeteries were swept once upon a time. Has anyone ever been to one? I'll post a photo. We visited a total of 7 cemeteries that day and enjoyed talking about the past. I'd love to hear from anyone who enjoys genealogy or wants to share something they've uncovered while researching their ancestors . . .

"A cemetery is a history of people - a perpetual record of
yesterday and sanctuary of peace and quiet today. A cemetery
exists because every life is worth loving and remembering - always."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome!

Hi...welcome to my Corner! Not sure what will be here, but wanted to create my own space...seems to be the going thing and I enjoy reading everyone else's, so maybe someone out there will enjoy mine! Anyways, welcome and enjoy your stay!