Saturday, September 6, 2008

Sixteen

Tyler turned 16 on September 4th. How do I explain how this feels? I can't. It's a strange mix of unbelief, excitement, sadness, worry. Unbelief because the past 16 years have flown by. Excitement because he can help me deliver kids everywhere. Sadness because he's growing up and leaving the nest more often. Worry because he is leaving the nest more often and I have to let him leave more often and worry until he's back in the house safe and sound. Make any sense? He's had his learner's permit since January. He took the road test on his birthday and moved on up to an intermediate restricted license. He was so excited, and I remember that feeling, don't you? It's wonderful being 16 and then again it was so hard. I want to warn him about getting his heart broken, but I want him to take that chance. I want to tell him not to worry about what others think, get out there and dance; yes, when everyone is watching. I want to keep him safe from all the heartaches yet to come, but I know I can't. He has to learn some things on his own. And I have to let go some so he can learn. But I'll be here in the wings watching and praying . . .

". . . Cause it's a long narrow, Only the Good Lord knows where it leads in the end, But you got to begin, So keep your hands on the wheel, Believe in the things that are real, Just take your time and keep it between the lines . . ."

1 comment:

  1. mine turns 16 in june...i have no idea how i'm going to feel but i'm thinking alot like you!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome!

Hi...welcome to my Corner! Not sure what will be here, but wanted to create my own space...seems to be the going thing and I enjoy reading everyone else's, so maybe someone out there will enjoy mine! Anyways, welcome and enjoy your stay!